Introduction: The Gift of Music

It's June 2013, I am 21 years old, and I am currently serving a Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the England London South mission. This area is beautiful, with its lush, green rolling hills, giant vine covered trees, narrow winding roads and old style brick homes that look like they are out of a movie. This is my first time here and the nature reminds me a lot of home; New Zealand. 

Growing up in New Zealand, I have become acquainted to unpredictable weather, where it's sunny with a chance of wind, rain, hail or storm. But the winter snow on the other hand, now that will take a bit of getting use to because the cold hates me! I happened to hit a good season, so fingers crossed that I get to experience an unusually warm summer.

Sitting on a blanket under the shade, with the sun breaking in between the leaves of the trees, has always been the perfect setting for writing music. In my hands is one of my most prized possessions; my guitar. Music has been a passion of mine since I was a little girl. In fact, my family has been singing together since before I was even born. So I guess it was destined that music would find a special place in my heart. As I grew up I participated in family concerts, school productions, shows and tours around New Zealand and during all of this, I discovered that original tunes and lyrics were finding a place in my mind. These tunes eventually became the beginnings of my first ever original songs. Once I picked up the guitar at high school, writing music became one of my greatest and most rewarding hobbies.

As a Christian I have really been able to see how music can invite the spirit, inspire people to greater heights and bring people closer to the Saviour. President J. Reuben Clark Jr. said, “We get nearer to the Lord through music than perhaps through any other thing except prayer.” I believe this with all my heart and for this reason I have really found joy in writing music.

While I serve in the London South Mission, in amongst all of the beauty of nature, I am continuing to seek inspiration to compose music with melodies and messages that will be able touch hearts, lift spirits and encourage everyone to continue through the tough times that life will throw in our direction.  I will keep you all posted on the discoveries I make as I seek to draw closer to my Saviour Jesus Christ through the gift of music.



0 comments: