He will Walk with You


I remember walking along the dark Brighton streets one night with my companion as we traveled home from a teaching appointment. The streets were lit, however a sense of uneasiness came over me as I thought of the many unpleasant things that have occurred in these streets.

 I saw a man coming towards me in rugged and tattered clothes, his head down and a facial expression that suggested he was distressed. I felt a sudden urge to stop him and as I looked into his eyes I could sense a lot of pain. Within seconds of talking with this full grown man, he literally broke down crying on the pavement in front of me. It broke my heart to see this man so hurt and upset. He told us how he had just run away that night from an abusive situation and was shaken up and unsure what to do and where to turn. I told him of God’s love for him, prayed with him and then directed him to where he could go to receive help. I also invited him to contact us in the morning so that we could meet up, because I knew that the message we share with people of Jesus Christ could help him gain the strength he needs in his life and find true peace.

He never did call us, but I remember that night very clearly and the feeling of love that Christ had for him. I remember wondering why someone in such a desperate situation wouldn't even bother trying to see if turning towards Christ could save them. I mean, he had nothing to lose. Perhaps while I was trying to empathize with him, he was thinking “You don’t understand what I am going through”, “How could you possibly understand how I’m feeling when you haven’t experienced it?” It’s true I could never understand. But Christ can.

In Alma 7:12 it reads “And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.”

Christ suffered for us not only to take away our pains but also so that he could truly understand how we feel. So that in the moments when we are at our lowest and feel completely alone, he could walk with us and even carry us if we allow him to. I know that this is true. 

The song for this blog is based on this experience and others that I have had while serving a mission and is taken from the perspective of our Savior.


Walk with You - By Jenna Walmsley

Verse 1
You and me, we're not so far away you see, 
I'm everywhere around you I'll be
If you turn your head, I will light up your way
Just call my name

Verse 2
Looking down deep in an alley way 
I find you there huddled, you're cold and afraid
Why wont you just believe, so I can reach down
And pull you out

Chorus
I was betrayed I was tortured and scorned all for you
Both of my hands, they were nailed to a tree on a hill
So when everyone's left you a lone 
I could walk with you

Verse 3
Here you are, caught in lies and deceit
A web has taken hold of your feet
There's no way you can move from where you are now
So will you try and turn around

Chorus

Bridge
Ahhh x 2
[Wont you turn in my direction
So I can heal and protect you] x 2 
Ahhh x 4

Chorus

0 comments: